Data Protection Policy
Expert Impact ( “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting your information and acting in accordance with your rights under data protection laws. This Data Protection Policy sets out how we will use your information.
This Data Protection Policy shall apply to any individual, including applicants, alumni, employees, trustees, volunteers and independent contractors, who provide us with personal information for the purposes of applying for The Human Lending Library or attending events, applying for employment, or supporting Expert Impact’s work as a funder, partner or volunteer. This Data Protection Policy is supplementary to other contracts that Expert Impact might have with any individual or organisation listed above.
Collection of your information
We may collect the following information about you:
- Personal details such as your name, date of birth, e-mail address, home address, country of residence, and other information provided by you in your Human Lending Library application, Expert registration, event registration, employment application, contract or any other registration provided by us and completed by you;
- Information you provide to help us monitor equal opportunities. You are not required to give this information and can opt-out (choosing not to provide it). This includes special categories of personal data such as information concerning your gender, nationality and racial or ethnic origin, disability information, sexual orientation and faith;
- The content and information you provide when you create a profile on The Online Human Lending Library Platform, any messages or communications you share with other members of the community and information about the groups you are connected to and how you interact with them is protected by Expert Impact and we do not monitor or share this information with any third parties.
- Details of any organisations you work for or have interests in including information obtained through reference checks;
- Your bank account details if you are paid a salary as an employee of Expert Impact, as a contractor, or incur expenses as a volunteer for us.
- Other information that is otherwise lawfully obtained about you including images from Expert Impact events, quotes, and social impact information.
How we will protect your personal and sensitive data
We protect your personal data by storing it securely, and ensuring only certain personnel with password protected authentication can access personal data for the purposes set out below (please see the section on ‘How we will use your information’). Personal data related to employees will only be accessed by authorised personnel.
Sensitive data is captured to enable Expert Impact to monitor equal opportunities and to ensure our programme is as accessible as possible to those with additional needs. You are not required to provide this and you can choose not to provide this information. We will never share your sensitive personal data and, to the extent possible, we will not attach such data to your personal record.
How we will use your information
We will use your information for the purposes of administering your application, registration or contract, in order to contact you about your application or contract, and for the monitoring of equal opportunities.
This includes making reasonable adjustments in line with the Equalities Act 2010, or other additional support that maybe required by staff, students, volunteers or any other individual supporting Expert Impact’s work.
By submitting an application or registration, or agreeing to support Expert Impact’s work, you are providing your consent to us processing your information for the purposes of the applicant selection process (either as an employee or a mentee/mentor), for the monitoring of equal opportunities, or to carry out our legitimate business interests and activities.
If your application is successful, we will continue to process your information as necessary for the performance of our contract with you, for your participation in the mentoring meetings, and as we further notify you. Please note that whilst you can withdraw your consent at any time in the manner set out below, failure to provide your consent may mean that we cannot consider your application or you may not be able to continue the programme.
We may use your information to communicate with you about services we believe may be of interest to you in accordance with your communicated preferences. This might include sending you our newsletter on wider sector news, funding opportunities, inviting you to speak at one of our events (paid or unpaid) or offering you other opportunities such as PR, business introductions, invitations to events or introductions to potential clients.
On occasions we may also use information you provide such as quotes, questionnaire and interview feedback, photographic images and video footage (where Expert Impact owns the copy write), case studies and social impact information for marketing or fundraising purposes. This includes social media, website and on printed material.
We will use employee information to maintain records about your employment and basic personnel files. We will use contractor and volunteer information to maintain records about your engagement with Expert Impact and to keep records accordingly.
Disclosure of your information
We may share your information with:
- other Human Lending Library partners within the network (you can see a list of the partners in our network here globally, under the ‘partners & supporters’ section);
- our volunteers;
- those within our network such as alumni, experts, etc.;
- third party suppliers, including;
- Funders; including corporates; Trusts and Foundations and individual donors.
- Programme delivery support; including speakers, delivery partners, venue, transport or accommodation providers.
- Technology and service providers; e.g. SAGE, Mailchimp and Salesforce.
- Professional services
- others to confirm your identity for money laundering purposes and fraud prevention.
We make the disclosures of your information described above in order to process your application, to determine whether you are eligible for The Human Lending Library, or (if your application is successful) to facilitate your engagement with a mentor, alumni, staff member, contractor, volunteer etc. including offering you other opportunities such as business introductions, invitations to events or introductions to potential clients.
We may also provide your information to our professional advisors and grant managers for the purpose of the services they provide to us (including 3rd party data processors for evaluation purposes) and may need to disclose your information if compelled to do so by law, a regulator or in the course of legal proceedings.
Website privacy and links to other websites
To get some feedback on whether our website is working, we monitor the volume of visitors to our website, how you found us, what page you were on before arriving at our site and which pages you view when visiting our site. We do not harvest or collect email addresses from website visitors. If you don’t contact us and give us your email, we don’t have your details.
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information you provide when visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement.
Transfer of data outside EEA
All countries in the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the UK, have similar standards of legal protection for your information. We may store your information on third party data centres located outside the EEA, where there is not a similar standard of data protection laws. If so, we will take steps to ensure that adequate levels of protection are applied to your information. We shall make available a current list of third-party third service providers outside the EEA receiving your information.
Retention of your information
We will hold your information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity unless a longer retention period is required by law, in which case we will hold your information for the period required by law.
Under data protection laws, you have a right to:
- obtain a copy of your information;
- correct or complete your information;
- procure that we delete your information; and
- withdraw consent to our use of your information (to the extent such use is based on consent) or otherwise object to the way in which we use your information.
Providing us with your information is necessary for us to consider your application. Failure to provide your information may mean we cannot consider your application.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, or if you have any questions about our use of your information, please email us at [email protected] or write to Data Protection Queries, Expert Impact, Third Floor, 95 The Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HH.
You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office or other appropriate regulatory authority in relation to your information held by us, and how we use it (contact details can be found here https://ico.org.uk/).
Status of Data Protection Notice
This Data Protection Notice is non-contractual. We reserve the right to amend it from time to time. Amendments will be posted to the website and, where appropriate, through e-mail notification. Unless otherwise specified all such changes will take effect immediately upon posting to the website.